This web site might comprise affiliate hyperlinks and promoting in order that we are able to present recipes to you. Learn my privateness coverage.
Pierogis are pleasant dumplings full of potatoes and cheese. These are a conventional Polish dumpling that places a complete new which means to consolation meals!
I like consolation meals as a result of clearly it simply makes every little thing higher. Attempt these different consolation meals favorites, Biscuits and Gravy, Rigatoni, and Meatloaf!
What’s a Pierogi?
Pierogis look just like Potstickers however are full of a potato and cheese filling and are constructed from a easy egg dough. These are a dreamy creamy dumpling that’s assured to hit the spot. These pierogis are the last word consolation meals. The dough is a non-yeasted dough, that’s tremendous simple to work with, it rolls out like a dream. Historically these potato and cheese dumplings are made with farmer’s cheese which may be arduous to search out. Cottage cheese and bitter cream make a terrific substitution.
The mix of boiling after which pan-frying the pierogis offers the right texture. These are completely tender with a barely crispy outdoors. The within comprises a tacky luscious filling you’re going to love. These are means higher than something you can find within the frozen part of the shop. The caramelized onions and butter are completely divine. Prime these pierogis with a bit extra cheese and inexperienced onions if desired.
What You Want for Excellent Pierogis
The dough is straightforward to make and comes collectively rapidly with these pantry staple substances. For the printable listing of substances and measurements, comply with the recipe card beneath.
- All-purpose flour: This can present the wanted construction for this primary dough.
- Salt: This can be a will need to have because it provides the flavour.
- Vegetable oil: You need to use canola oil for a light tasting good choice.
- Eggs: For the eggs to combine in utterly and simply, have them at room temperature.
- Heat water: Utilizing heat water helps every little thing mix and creates a pleasant supple dough.
Cheese and Potato Filling Elements
Pierogis are full of a savory potato and cheese filling that’s heat and comforting. You received’t go incorrect with these selfmade pierogis! See the recipe card beneath for all of the measurements and full details about the pierogis recipe.
- Medium russet potatoes: Russets can have the perfect texture, different potatoes may be too waxy.
- Butter unsalted: Have the butter at room temperature or softened for simple mixing.
- Cottage cheese or bitter cream: You need to use one or the opposite or a mix of each.
- Cheddar cheese grated: I like to make use of finely grated cheese that I do myself.
- Salt: Once more this provides wanted taste so don’t forget it.
- Candy onion: Cube the onion small, or go away in lengthy slices.
- Butter: Extra butter, as a result of every little thing is best with butter.
Making the Dough
These pierogis are simply what it’s good to create the perfect dinner for your loved ones. Begin with combining within the bowl the flour, salt, veggie oil and egg. Use the dough hook on low to combine till mixed. Carry the pace as much as medium-high and blend for 5-6 minutes, till the dough is easy and springy. Switch to an oiled bowl and let relaxation for half-hour.
Pierogis Dough Filling
As soon as the dough is created and able to stuff with potatoes and cheese combination these pierogis will cook dinner up in minutes!
- Potatoes: Peel and chop potatoes into giant items and add to a pot. Add sufficient water to cowl the potatoes by an inch and produce to a boil over excessive warmth. Boil for about 20-25 minutes till the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and permit to chill for 5-10 minutes after which mash nicely.
- Cheese Filling: Add within the butter, cottage cheese or bitter cream, cheddar cheese and salt. As soon as easy, put aside.
The best way to Make Do-it-yourself Pierogis
- Roll: Minimize the dough into two equal items and set one apart, conserving it lined to stop it from drying out. Roll the opposite piece out on a floured floor till it’s ⅛ inch in thickness.
- Minimize and Fill: Utilizing a 3 inch cookie cutter reduce circles within the dough as shut as potential to maximise the quantity of usable dough. Add about ½ tablespoon of the potato combination to the middle of the rounds after which fold over. Pinch the perimeters collectively tightly to seal the filling in. Ensure that to essentially pinch the dough collectively since you don’t the filling to burst out.
- Fill the Relaxation: Put aside all of the completed pierogis after which repeat the method with the remaining half of the dough.need
- Onions: Add the chopped onion and butter to a big skillet. Prepare dinner the onions on medium low for about 20 minutes, till the onions are good and browned.
- Boil and Skillet Fry: Carry a big pot of salted water to a boil over excessive warmth. As soon as boiling, add the pierogis in two batches and boil till they float, about 3 minutes. Take away with a slotted spoon and add them to the skillet with the cooked onions. Prepare dinner over medium warmth for 2-3 minutes. Plate and eat whereas sizzling!
The Finest Polish Pierogi Ideas
Wealthy and tacky the one factor these pierogis want is time to assemble, however it’s tremendous simple to do! These are the right dinner recipe your loved ones will love.
- Potatoes: Follow russet potatoes for this recipe. Golden and purple potatoes are too waxy and can create a rubbery filling as a substitute of being easy and creamy.
- Mash: For the perfect texture of your potatoes use a ricer, meals mill or perhaps a fork to mash them. This can maintain the within mild and fluffy.
- Cheese: Finely grate your individual cheddar cheese to keep away from the anti-caking brokers on pre-shredded cheeses. This may maintain the cheese from melting and mixing with the potato combination.
- Cottage Cheese: In Poland they use what is named Farmer’s cheese. This may be arduous to search out, so we use cottage cheese with sourcream to create the right style and texture. Ricotta cheese may be substituted for the cottage cheese as nicely.
- Should Boil then fry: Be sure to boil the pierogi first to cook dinner the dough totally. Then you may both pan fry them and even air fry them. To air fry spray them with olive oil and place within the air fryer at 350 levels for 1-2 minutes per aspect. Watch rigorously.
- Prime it: Garnish with extra cheese, sliced inexperienced onion, bacon and a aspect of bitter cream should you want.
These are positively a worthy major dish with its wealthy filling and butter onion garnish. It’s a dish made to consolation the soul. Serve these with a wide range of sides to make it an entire meal your loved ones is totally going to like. Conserving a bit extra on the Polish aspect serve with a cabbage and sausage or a pleasant cabbage roll. Yum!
Making Forward and Freezing Pierogis
These style means higher than something from the frozen part from the shop. Make a double batch and freeze your individual for later.
- Make-Forward Dough: As soon as the dough is made, you may both use it immediately or wrap it in plastic wrap and place within the fridge for as much as 2 hours earlier than utilizing. Let it relaxation at room temperature for quarter-hour earlier than utilizing. To freeze the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap after which place in a freezer bag for as much as 1 month. Thaw within the fridge overngight or on the counter until prepared to make use of.
- The best way to Freeze Pierogi: When you assemble the pierogi you may freeze it earlier than cooking them. Make a double batch so you may freeze some for one more time. Place the pierogi on a baking sheet and place within the freezer until frozen, about 2 hours. Then switch the pierogi to a freezer secure bag and freeze for as much as 1 month. No must thaw earlier than cooking, you may boil them proper from the freezer, simply add an additional minute or two to the boil time.
Within the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, salt, veggie oil and egg. Use the dough hook on low to combine till mixed. Carry the pace as much as medium-high and blend for 5-6 minutes, till the dough is easy and springy. Switch to an oiled bowl and let relaxation for half-hour.
Peel and chop potatoes into giant items and add to a pot. Add sufficient water to cowl the potatoes by an inch and produce to a boil over excessive warmth. Boil for about 20-25 minutes till the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and permit to chill for 5-10 minutes after which mash nicely.
Add within the butter, cottage cheese or bitter cream, cheddar cheese and salt. As soon as easy, put aside.
Energy145kcal (7%)Carbohydrates16g (5%)Protein4g (8%)Fats7g (11%)Saturated Fats5g (25%)Polyunsaturated Fats1gMonounsaturated Fats1gTrans Fats1gLdl cholesterol22mg (7%)Sodium286mg (12%)Potassium101mg (3%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar1g (1%)Vitamin A117IU (2%)Vitamin C1mg (1%)Calcium38mg (4%)Iron1mg (6%)
All dietary data relies on third get together calculations and is just an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will differ relying on the manufacturers you employ, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.