This web site might include affiliate hyperlinks and promoting in order that we are able to present recipes to you. Learn my privateness coverage.
This candy and bitter sauce is completely tangy and zesty! It would add a scrumptious taste to absolutely anything and can solely take you about 10 minutes to make!
I really like a superb sauce to dip issues in and this candy and bitter sauce isn’t any exception! Make up some Egg Rolls, Candy and Bitter Rooster, and a few Pork to make use of this in and you’ll agree with me… It’s one of the best!
Candy and Bitter Sauce
I really like candy and bitter sauce as a result of it’s tangy however candy on the similar time. Similar to within the identify! You should utilize it to dip issues in our you possibly can utterly coat some rooster, pork, or shrimp in it. It makes or breaks a recipe and this sauce will provide you with every little thing that you’re in search of! It’s a good consistency and is thick sufficient that you could lather these things on. I’m an enormous fan of sauce so the extra the higher!
Not solely does this sauce style improbable however it’s so easy and straightforward to make! The components aren’t sophisticated and when you have 10 minutes, you possibly can whip this up. In truth, double the batch after which reserve it for later so that you just all the time have some! Youngsters might be fairly choosy relating to sauce. It could actually’t be too spicy nevertheless it has to style good. This sauce is simply that! My entire household goes loopy over it! Go forward and take a look at it, you’ll by no means return to store-bought sauce once more!
What’s In Candy and Bitter Sauce?
Candy and bitter sauce is comprised of a bunch of components that you just most likely have already got in your kitchen! See the recipe card beneath for a listing of actual ingredient measurements.
- Pineapple juice: That is what will provide you with that zesty, contemporary taste!
- Rice vinegar: I like to make use of this rice vinegar from the shop.
- Brown sugar: This may sweeten up the recipe and provides it a deeper taste than white sugar would give to it.
- Ketchup: Not solely does this add to the style nevertheless it offers it that stunning pink colour as nicely!
- Soy sauce: This is my favorite soy sauce to use!
- Cornstarch and water: When you mix these two together, it will help thicken up the sauce to the perfect consistency!
Let’s Make Some Sauce!
Making this sweet and sour sauce will take you less than 10 minutes! It’s so simple and easy that you will never go back to buying this at the store again!
- Mix: In a saucepan over medium-high heat whisk together the pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, and soy sauce together.
- Whisk: In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and water to make a slurry.
- Combine and mix: Add the cornstarch to the saucepan and whisk it in.
- Simmer: Bring to a simmer then reduce to medium-low until it thickens
Sweet and sour sauce can be changed up to fit exactly what you want! Whether that’s more heat or more flavor! That’s the beauty of making your own sauces at home. They are quick and easy and you get to decide how they turn out and taste!
- Don’t use FRESH pineapple juice: When you are making this recipe, use pineapple juice from a can. Fresh pineapple juice has more acid in it and will break down the sauce. This will change up the taste and the consistency.
- Add some kick: If you want to add a bit of extra spice, try slowly adding in a tiny bit of chili flakes.
- Lather on meat: If you want to lather this on a meat dish and don’t just plan on using it for dipping then I would double the recipe!
How to Store Leftovers
This sweet and sour sauce can last in a jar or an airtight container in your fridge for about 2 weeks! So go ahead and plan all of your recipes around this so that you can make the most of it! It’s so delicious, you won’t regret it!
In a saucepan over medium-high heat whisk together the pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, and soy sauce together.
In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and water to make a slurry.
Add the cornstarch to the saucepan and whisk it in.
Bring to a simmer then reduce to medium-low until it thickens
Calories37kcal (2%)Carbohydrates9g (3%)Protein1g (2%)Fat1g (2%)Saturated Fat1g (5%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat1gSodium225mg (9%)Potassium28mg (1%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar8g (9%)Vitamin A19IUVitamin C1mg (1%)Calcium7mg (1%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.