A couple of weeks in the past I used to be flipping by way of Yotam Ottolenghi’s Easy and got here throughout a shocking photograph of mashed potatoes. They swooshed throughout the platter, creating peaks and valleys, an herby olive oil pooled throughout. The recipe was titled “fragrant olive oil mash”.
Photographs of mashed potatoes sometimes don’t get my juices flowing, however this one did. And whereas I’m positive the recipe, which known as for making a garlicky oil infused with thyme, mint, and lemon zest, is scrumptious, I made a decision to go a special route: I might make Sally Schneider’s tried-and-true buttermilk mashed potatoes from A New Strategy to Cook dinner and prime it with the scallion-cilantro “sizzle” I take advantage of on this selfmade ranch dip.
As Ina says: How dangerous can that be?
Buddies: these potatoes! I don’t suppose I’ll be capable of serve mashed potatoes another manner. Not solely are they visually very interesting, however they’re additionally simply so darn tasty, creamy and tangy because of the buttermilk, and vivid and spicy because of the herb-and-chili infused olive oil.
As a result of I’ve by no means shared Sally’s mashed potato recipe, let me inform you just a little bit about it. True to a lot of Sally’s recipes, this one requires only a few enrichments, counting on large taste substances and strategies as a substitute.
On this recipe she makes use of entire milk buttermilk as a result of it has a pure creaminess but is way decrease in fats than milk or cream. She additionally makes use of a number of the reserved potato-cooking liquid to skinny the mash as wanted. And at last, solely after the potatoes have absorbed the liquid, Sally provides a single tablespoon of butter. By including the butter on the finish, she says, “the butter stays on the floor of the potatoes, its taste readily discernible, imparting a really wealthy end.”
Each time I make these potatoes I’m astonished there isn’t a cream and little or no butter — they style far richer than they really are. And, as I famous above, whereas this herb-infused oil might be a should for me from right here on out, I solely spoon it over half of the potatoes, holding the remaining half ungarnished for the kids and another mashed potato purists in attendance.
Within the recipe field under, you’ll additionally discover a recipe for one more favourite variation of those potatoes: roasted garlic. For this one, you roast two heads of garlic; you then squeeze the comfortable, buttery, caramelized cloves into the purée. It’s a delicate contact, however one which provides a pleasant earthiness and slight sweetness, too.
However earlier than we get to the recipe, can we speak mashing gear?
Greatest Instruments for Mashed Potatoes
The above-pictured potato masher is a brand new software in my arsenal, and I’m tremendous impressed by how properly it really works and really pleased to have it as a result of it has streamlined the mashed potato-making course of for me.
Prior to purchasing it, I at all times used the below-pictured meals mill or the ricer for mashed potatoes, and whereas each of these instruments make for particularly easy purées, I don’t love the expertise of utilizing both: every requires utilizing a further bowl, every is just a little awkward to make use of because the potatoes get caught in numerous crevices, and every is form of a ache to wash. (There’s additionally at all times the preliminary drawback of finding them 🤣)
A potato masher to a meals mill just isn’t in contrast to what an immersion blender is to a meals processor — a software that will get the job accomplished, possibly not as completely however nonetheless very successfully and positively extra effectively.
Remaining be aware: I’m positive most of you already know this, however utilizing a meals processor just isn’t a good suggestion for mashed potatoes as a result of the extraordinary whipping course of provides the potatoes a gummy texture.
Make Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes, Step by Step
Collect your potatoes. I’m utilizing Yukon Golds right here.
Peel and roughly chop the potatoes.
Place them in a pot and canopy them with chilly water.
Carry them to a simmer and boil for 45 minutes. Earlier than draining, reserve a number of the cooking liquid.
Drain them; then return them to the pot over low warmth and allow them to cook dinner for a couple of minutes to dry out.
Add buttermilk, reserved cooking liquid, salt, and pepper.
Then mash till principally easy. I really like this potato masher.
As soon as principally mashed, add a tablespoon of butter, and beat additional. You possibly can change to a spoon or spatula at this level.
You possibly can cease proper there, or… jazz them up:
Herby “Ranch” Mashed Potatoes
That is my favourite option to eat mashed potatoes. Should you’ve made this selfmade ranch dip, the method will really feel very acquainted. Collect scallions and cilantro. (Omit the cilantro if you happen to hate it.)
Slice the scallions, chop the cilantro, and switch them to a small skillet with olive oil and crushed purple pepper flakes.
Cook dinner over medium warmth till the herbs start to melt and sizzle.
Switch mashed potatoes to a serving dish; then spoon the herby oil over prime. (Notice: I solely garnish half the potatoes with this herby dressing and I depart half plain for the children.)
Make Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
To make roasted garlic mashed potatoes, trim away the tops of two heads of garlic.
Place every head on a small sheet of foil. Drizzle with olive oil. Curl up the edges of the foil to make an enclosure. Pour a tablespoon of water into the pouch. Shut the foil sides to make a decent pouch; then switch to a 425ºF oven for 35-45 minutes.
Open the pouches to search out properly caramelized, butter-soft cloves — these are heavenly unfold over toast.
Squeeze out the cloves; then switch to your mashed potatoes, and stir to mix.
You possibly can mix the roasted garlic mashed potatoes with the herby dressing if you want:
As famous above, the bottom recipe for the mashed potatoes in addition to the roasted garlic variation comes from Sally Schneider’s A New Strategy to Cook dinner, which was my cooking bible for a few years.
I really may eat this entire bowl:
Tailored from Sally Schneider’s A New Approach To Cook dinner.
Potatoes: If attainable use one thing like Yellow Finns or Yukon Golds, which turn into extraordinarily creamy when mashed. If made with baking potatoes, the end result might be grainy and watery.
Gear: For the smoothest potatoes, cross the potatoes by way of a meals mill or a ricer earlier than including the buttermilk and reserved cooking liquid in step 2. As famous within the publish, I really like this Zyliss Potato Masher.
Buttermilk: Use entire milk buttermilk if attainable. Low-fat buttermilk received’t impart the identical creaminess and richness, and it’d impart extra tartness as properly. The unique recipe requires warming the buttermilk, however I discover so long as I measure it and depart it at room temperature after I begin boiling the potatoes, it really works simply superb.
Herby garnish: As famous within the publish, I spoon the garnish over solely half of the potatoes, and I depart half of the potatoes plain for the kids. Should you like the concept of utilizing this garnish over all the potatoes, I might double it, and use a bigger skillet.
Roasted Garlic Variation: After the potatoes are mashed, add two heads of roasted garlic cloves to the pot. Stir to mix.
For the buttermilk mashed potatoes:
- 1 3/4 kilos Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and minimize into 2-inch chunks (you’ll have about 1 1/2 kilos of potatoes publish peeling)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature, see notes above
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Freshly floor black pepper
- Flaky sea salt, if in case you have it
For the herby garnish (see notes above earlier than making):
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, to yield a heaping half cup or so
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed purple pepper flakes
- 2 to 4 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Place the potatoes and the two teaspoons of the salt in a medium saucepan, add sufficient water to cowl, and produce to a boil over excessive warmth. Scale back the warmth to reasonable and simmer till the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes. Drain, reserving not less than 1/4 cup of the cooking water — I like to order not less than a cup of the cooking liquid.
- Return the potatoes to the pan and set over low warmth, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, stirring sometimes, to let the potatoes dry out just a little. (See notes above if utilizing a ricer or meals mill.) Add the buttermilk, ¼ cup of the reserved cooking liquid, pepper to style, and a pinch of sea salt. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher till you’ve got a rough purée. Add the butter and mash once more. As soon as the potatoes are as mashed up as attainable you’ll be able to change to a wood spoon or spatula and beat them additional. Style. Add extra sea salt and pepper to style. Skinny with extra reserved cooking liquid if desired.
- To make the herby sizzle: Warmth the oil, scallions, crushed purple pepper flakes, and cilantro in a small skillet or saucepan over medium warmth. Cook dinner, swirling sometimes, till the scallions and purple pepper flakes begin to visually and audibly sizzle. Season with a pinch of sea salt and take away from the warmth.
- To serve: Switch half of the potatoes to a serving dish. Use the again of a spoon to swoosh the potatoes round a bit, creating peaks and valleys. Spoon the herby oil over prime, permitting the oil to pool within the crevices. Crack extra pepper over prime and, if you want, season with one other pinch of sea salt.
- Class: Aspect Dish
- Methodology: Stovetop
- Delicacies: American
Key phrases: buttermilk, low-fat, roasted garlic, Yukon Golds