Final Sunday night, I had deliberate to make Yotam Ottolenghi’s scorching charred cherry tomatoes with chilly yogurt. The recipe had been popping up in every single place, from the LA Instances and numerous newsletters and blogs to precise actual people recounting their new favourite recipe.
However once I realized I didn’t have half the called-for spices and solely half the called-for yogurt, I turned to a different well-liked recipe: baked feta pasta. Possibly you’ve heard of it?
No? Nicely, it’s a recipe, I’ve realized, that’s been on the internet since 2018, however solely gained traction earlier this yr thanks to some TikTokers (is that what they’re referred to as?) with giant audiences. In brief, you bake a block of feta cheese with cherry tomatoes and olive oil; then, when every little thing is all melty and blistered, you throw pasta into the pan and toss every little thing collectively.
I by no means acquired round to creating the dish when it was traversing the net in January and February, and I nonetheless haven’t made it in its entirety — as an alternative of tossing the baked cheese and tomatoes with pasta, I’ve been plopping the dish on the desk and serving heat focaccia on the facet.
It’s, as you may think, extremely scrumptious. Given its viral reception, this shouldn’t have been a shock, nevertheless it was — I feel I are likely to method viral recipes with skepticism as a result of they really feel extra gimmicky than good.
However, Pals! That is actually good. Maddeningly good! Have you ever made it? Do you know Finland almost ran out of feta because of the recipe’s recognition? It’s true!
Once I made the dish final Sunday, I served it apart rooster souvlaki, and whereas I often can’t think about serving rooster souvlaki with out tzatziki, this dip subbed in simply advantageous. I had a tough time not consuming each chunk of rooster with a spoonful of the feta dip and an excellent tougher time refraining from simply. one. extra. piece. of. tomato-feta-sopped bread.
Pals, I nearly didn’t put up this recipe as a result of, properly, I type of really feel prefer it’s very previous information at this level. However I’m taking the danger and hoping the viral TikTok recipe perhaps escaped your radar or perhaps didn’t transfer you to make it while you realized about it.
If you’re nonetheless getting good cherry tomatoes — we’re up right here — let this be the final tomato recipe you make this season. You gained’t be upset.
How To Make Baked Feta with Cherry Tomatoes:
Collect your substances: cherry tomatoes, feta, and, if you want, garlic, shallots, and chilies.
Slice 4 cloves of garlic thinly. Slice two chilies thinly. Alternatively, use a pinch of crushed purple pepper flakes.
Slice the shallot thinly.
Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil right into a baking dish. High with the tomatoes, shallots, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
Add the feta. Drizzle 2 extra tablespoons of olive oil over high, and crack extra pepper to style over high as properly.
Bake at 400ºF for 20 minutes…
… then switch to the broil for five minutes.
Add a handful of basil:
Stir to mix.
Serve with heat bread:
That is heaven, really.
By the way, I’ve been making this focaccia so much as a result of it’s so darn easy. With this newest batch, I blended the dough, caught it within the fridge, then proceeded with the recipe 3 days later! I used to be anxious the dough might need over-fermented, nevertheless it didn’t. Look how glad she seems:
Lastly, native buddies, this Maplebrook Farm feta is so good. They promote it on the Niskayuna Co-op and different native markets.
Tailored from Liemessa’s viral hit recipe for baked feta pasta.
- Native buddies, if you may get your palms on Maplebrook Farm feta, it’s an actual deal with. They promote it on the Niskayuna Co-op.
- If you wish to flip this into the viral pasta recipe, use 4 extra tablespoons oil (I lower the quantity of oil in half) and boil a pound of pasta. Save the pasta cooking liquid. Toss the cooked pasta with the completed roasted tomato-feta combination. Skinny with pasta cooking liquid if mandatory.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. (450 to 500 g) cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, elective, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 small scorching chilies, elective, thinly sliced or a pinch of crushed purple pepper flakes
- flaky sea salt
- contemporary cracked black pepper
- 7 ounce (200 grams) block of feta, see notes above, lower into two slabs
- handful of contemporary basil
- bread for serving, I’ve been making this focaccia so much lately
- Warmth oven to 400ºF. Place one rack in the midst of the oven. Place one rack on the very high, near the broiler.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into an 8- or 9-inch baking dish (or one thing comparable). Add the tomatoes, garlic, shallots, and chilies. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and pepper to style. Toss to coat. Add the feta. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Crack extra pepper over high to style.
- Switch pan to your oven’s center rack for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, switch the pan to the highest rack, and swap to your oven’s broiler setting. Broil on excessive for five minutes (or kind of), maintaining a detailed watch all the time. Whereas the tomatoes broil, warmth up some bread — I’ve been doing this within the toaster oven however you in all probability may get away with placing the bread on the very backside rack of your oven whereas the tomatoes broil.
- When the tomatoes are blistered to your liking, take away the pan from the warmth. Toss in a handful of basil and stir gently to mix. Serve with slices of heat bread.
- Class: Appetizer
- Technique: Oven
- Delicacies: American
Key phrases: feta, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, basil