Yesterday afternoon I returned from every week away to discover a dozen summer season squash in my fridge. It wasn’t the best-looking lot — not pristine sufficient to make this uncooked salad or this spaghetti — however it was nonetheless completely match for consumption.
I knew simply the recipe to make with that 5-lb. assortment of uncared for courgettes: zucchini parmesan. When roasted and layered between do-it-yourself tomato sauce and parmesan, and topped with a layer of crispy bread crumbs, nobody would know the times of these summer season squash have been numbered.
That is one among my favourite methods to place a heap of summer season squash to good use. You’ll discover the recipe beneath.
In search of extra summer season squash recipes?
Listed here are 15 concepts:
Uncooked Summer season Squash Salad
Summer season Squash Spaghetti
Zucchini Bread (Award Successful 🎉🎉🎉)
Sautéed Summer season Squash with Mint, Basil & Pine Nuts
Oven-Baked Zucchini Fries
Roasted Ratatouille = The Finest Ratatouille
Veggie-Loaded Stuffed Bell Peppers
Vegetarian Tortilla Casserole
Summer season Squash Pizza with Burrata and Basil
Grilled Vegetable Tacos
Toasted Orecchiette with Zucchini & Corn
The beneath recipe for zucchini parmesan follows the precise technique I take advantage of to make eggplant parmesan: roast greens; then layer them with tomato sauce and parmesan. There’s no breading or frying right here; fairly the roasted squash is layered with parmesan and tomato sauce and the entire ensemble will get topped with a layer of parmesan-bread crumbs. It’s fully irresistible.
Right here’s the play-by-play: Slice 3.5-5 lbs. of summer season squash into 1/4-inch thick rounds. A mandoline is useful right here.
Toss the sliced squash with olive oil, salt, and pepper in a big bowl. (An additional-large bowl is helpful right here.)
Roast the squash slices on two sheet pans (x-large sheet pans are helpful right here.)
Layer the squash with tomato sauce and parmesan in a 9×13-inch pan.
Stir collectively recent bread crumbs, parmesan, and olive oil; then …
… pile it atop the assembled casserole.
Bake till evenly golden.
Serve instantly or at room temperature.
Listed here are two tomato sauces I like, one calling for recent tomatoes, one for canned. After all, your favourite jarred sauce will work nice right here. I like the entire Rao’s model sauces.
It is a double recipe of this long-time favourite zucchini parmesan recipe. Like this eggplant parmesan recipe, there’s no breading or frying right here; fairly roasted squash is layered with parmesan and tomato sauce and the entire thing will get topped with a layer of parmesan-bread crumbs. It’s fully irresistible.
- 3 1/2 to 5 lbs. summer season squash, reduce into 1/4-inch thick slices
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups recent breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (3 ounces roughly) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- tomato sauce (equivalent to this one or this one, or no matter tomato sauce you’re keen on)
- Preheat oven to 450ºF (convection roast in case you have it). Line two baking sheets — I like these extra-large baking sheets for this — with parchment (for straightforward cleanup). In a really giant bowl (or two giant bowls in the event you don’t have an extra-large one), costume the squash with 1/4 cup olive oil and salt to style — be beneficiant. Season with pepper to style as properly. Toss properly — the slices ought to really feel evenly oiled.
- Switch the seasoned squash to every of the ready sheet pans and unfold in an excellent layer — it’s OK if a number of the squash are overlapping. Switch the pans to the oven, and bake till the slices are starting to brown, 15 to twenty minutes. Rotate the pans. Bake for 10 to fifteen extra minutes or till a lot of the slices are golden — it’s very seemingly that one of many squash will look fully completed and a few will appear to be they want extra time. That is high quality — the objective with the roasting is usually to take away moisture in order that the completed casserole just isn’t watery. Take away pans from the oven and put aside. Scale back oven temperature to 400 levels.
- In the meantime, toss the two cups bread crumbs with 1/3 cup of the grated parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup olive oil, and salt and pepper to style. Put aside.
- Right into a 9×13-inch baking dish, spoon a small quantity of sauce (about 1/2 cup), then a single layer of roasted squash, then a skinny layer of parmesan. Repeat the layering till the entire squash and cheese has been used, ending with a bit sauce. High with the bread crumb combination.
- Bake till the squash combination is bubbly and the highest is golden, 25 minutes or so relying on dimension of pan and thickness of layers. Take away from warmth and permit to relaxation for five minutes earlier than serving. This can be made forward and reheated.
- Class: Dinner
- Technique: Oven
- Delicacies: American
Key phrases: zucchini, parmesan, summer season squash, easy